The Group banner image
 
Home | About RA | The Board | Contact Us

Meeting Report

President: Etienne de Harven
Moderator: David Crowe

June 10-11, 2006
Roosevelt Hotel
New York, NY, USA

  1. Saturday, June 10th. Closed Session

    No contributions.

  2. Welcome Remarks by the President

    The meeting was called to order at 9:15 AM.

  3. Introductions (1 minute per person “My main goal for this meeting”)

    Each director and guest took a minute to introduce themselves and their goals for this meeting.

    NameOrganizationNotes
    David CroweAlberta Reappraising AIDS Society (ARAS)Director
    Peter DuesbergUC BerkeleyDirector
    Roberto A. GiraldoDirector
    Claus KoehnleinDirector
    Robert LeppoDirector
    Frank LusardiDirector
    Christine MaggioreAlive & WellDirector
    Etienne De HarvenDirector and President. Proxy to Roberto Giraldo.
    Sigrid DuesbergRethinking AIDSDirector and Treasurer, Absent.
    Christian FialaDirector, Proxy to Christine Maggiore.
    Charles GeshekterDirector. Proxy to David Crowe when absent.
    Bryan OwenRethinking AIDSDirector. Proxy to David Crowe when absent.
    David RasnickDirector, Proxy to Roberto Giraldo.
    Kim Marie BannonGuest
    Bill CastilloGuest
    Celia FarberGuest
    Neville HodgkinsonGuest
    Robin KoernerGuest
    Anthony LiversidgeNew Review, New AIDS ReviewGuest
    Janine RobertsGuest
    Joan ShentonMeditel ProductionsGuest

  4. Agenda Review & Adjustments

    Contribution: RA 06.06-01r4 [David Crowe] — “Agenda”

    Status: Accepted

  5. Agreement on Voting

    Charles Geshekter moved that decisions be made by a 2/3 majority of the board (present or with proxy). The motion was seconded by Christine Maggiore. There are 13 members of the board, of which 11 were present or sent a proxy. This made 8 the number of votes required to approve a decision.

  6. Reports and Statements by Directors

    Contribution: RA 06.06-12 [Etienne de Harven] — “Reply to New York Times”
    There was some discussion of how to best write letters to the editor. Charles Geshekter stressed the need to keep letters short and focussed. The New York Times, for example, rarely publishes letters over 150 words.

    Two actions were agreed to.

    Action: Guidelines for writing letters will be developed and posted on the RA website by Christine Maggiore and Bryan Owen.

    Status: FYI

    1. Treasurer’s Report

      Contribution: RA 06.06-08 [Siggi Duesberg] — “Treasurer's Report”
      The treasurer’s report was discussed and accepted.

      Action: David Crowe will get names and addresses of those present to Siggi Duesberg.

      Action: Christine Maggiore will provide information on getting BBB ‘super’ charity status to the treasurer.

      Status: Accepted

    2. Webmaster’s Report

      Contribution: RA 06.06-09 [Bryan Owen] — “Webmaster's Report”
      Bryan Owen gave a detailed report on the development of the website, and future plans, including the possible migration to an open source content management system.

      Bryan recommended that, when possible, people use the URL http://www.rethinkingaids.com, rather than other variants, even though they might go to the same location.

      Later in the meeting it was agreed that a Rethinker’s Calendar should be developed to including meetings, talks by rethinkers (even if they are not open to the public), article publications and so on. This might fit in with the idea of “Correspondents” as one person in each region could be responsible for keeping the calendar up to date with links in their area.

      Action: David Crowe will work with Tom Di Ferdinando and Bryan Owen to develop an RA website calendar. A conference call will be held to thrash out requirements for this. Probably should wait for new CMS

      Status: Accepted

    3. Other Directors’ Reports

      Contribution: RA 06.06-02 [Gordon Stewart] — “A Statement for the RA Meeting in NYC, June 2006”
      Gordon Stewart’s message to the board, including his regrets at not being able to attend, was introduced by David Crowe.

      Status: Accepted

      Contribution: RA 06.06-07 [David Crowe et al] — “The Corrections”
      There was a discussion of the Rebuttal to the Rebuttal of Gallot et al to Celia Farber’s Harpers article. It was suggested that it use a different name, such as “Correcting Gallo” to avoid the implication that we were correcting ourselves. Christine Maggiore suggested that we obtain a separate domain name. Bob Leppo suggested having an ability for people to respond to the rebuttal on the website. It was also suggested that we write to Gallo and request a response.

      Christine Maggiore noted that it is easy to obtain new URLs and put up small websites there. “The Corrections” would be an example.

      Action: David Crowe will make sure that “The Corrections” (or “Correcting Gallo”) are completed and that their existence is publicized.

      Status: FYI

    4. Other Reports

      Kim Marie Bannon strongly endorsed the new novel “The AIDS Trial”, a story about families injured by AZT.

      Contribution: RA 06.06-05 [Helen Lauer] — “Cashing In on Shame”

      Helen Lauer is a professor in Ghana. Her recent paper was distributed for the information of the board. She is also looking into writing a book on HIV/AIDS for the purpose of the study of critical thinking among Ghanian students.

      Status: FYI

      Contribution: RA 06.06-10 [Perth Group] — “Some clarification of the Perth Group's contribution to "HIV"/AIDS”
      The Perth Group provided a summary of their contributions to the HIV/AIDS debate, including lists of scientific and popular publications. They had requested that it be uploaded to the RA website, but there were concerns over some of the statements (mainly the first and last paragraph).

      Christine Maggiore moved, seconded by Charles Geshekter, that we thank the Perth Group for their important contributions to the HIV/AIDS debate. Unanimous support.

      There was no support for putting this document on the website.

      Status: FYI

      Contribution: RA 06.06-13 [Anju Singh] — “Report from India”
      Anju Singh provided a summary of recent AIDS related activities in India.

      Status: FYI

      Contribution: RA 06.06-15 [Robert Gallo] — “Letter to Janine Roberts”
      A rather heated letter from Robert Gallo to Janine Roberts.

      Status: FYI

  7. What are the Roles of RA? How Will we Perform Them?

    Christine Maggiore moved that we should develop a mission statement, seconded by Roberto Giraldo. Unanimous approval. Robin K and Charles Geshekter offered to help Christine. The mission statement will be posted after unanimous approval by the board.
    Christine Maggiore moved that we develop interview bios for the entire board, seconded by Charles Geshekter. Anthony Liversidge and Kim Marie Bannon will work on this. Directors are requested to send the answer to the question “What has happened to me as a result of my involvement?” to Anthony.

    1. PR (Public Relations)

      Contribution: RA 06.06-16 [Christine Maggiore] — “Presentation on PR”
      Christine Maggiore gave an inspiring and informative talk about public relations.

      Janine Roberts suggested that we provide packages to journalists. Kim Marie Bannon suggested a regular flow of press releases. Christine felt that this should be more focussed (i.e. responding to selected important events).

      Bob Leppo agreed that we should have a PR committee, and requested that it put together a budget at several levels of funding.

      Christine Maggiore moved that a task force be established for PR. Seconded by Bob Leppo. Unanimous agreement.

      Action: Christine Maggiore will organize a PR task force.

      Status: Accepted

  8. Motion on Funding

    Bob Leppo moved that RA board authorize the RA foundation to make grants for a wider range of purposes, including films and video. Seconded by Charles Geshekter. Funding for each project would still have to be approved by a 2/3 majority of the board. Board members involved in a project would recuse themselves from such decisions. Unanimous agreement.
    Roberto Giraldo moved that the RA foundation make grants for Brent Leung’s film based on available funds. Seconded by Christine Maggiore. Unanimous agreement.

  9. Continuing Discussion of Roles and Goals

    1. Legal

      Charles Geshekter agreed that RA should provide background information to lawyers and recommend expert witness, but should not get involved in funding, and he recommended against a committee. Roberto Giraldo agreed.
      Christine felt that a task force should be set up. There was not a consensus to do this.
      Kim indicated that she would be willing to talk with lawyers.
      There was a discussion of nominating a legal expert to the RA board. Later it was decided to leave new board appointments until a September conference call.

      Contribution: RA 06.06-17 [Mike Hersee] — “Report from HEAL London”

      Joan Shenton introduced this report from HEAL London, including a discussion of the Libyan case of Bulgarian nurses accused of infecting hundreds of children through vaccinations. Janine Roberts mentioned cases she is involved with, including a case of sexual transmission resulting of the jailing of a woman in Sweden. Christine spoke about the importance of having at least one attorney involved in RA. Roberto agree that we had to be involved when cases happened, but that the legal avenue should not be encouraged. He mentioned a group of lawyers in Mexico, Brazil, Peru and Colombia who are studying some of these issues.

      Status: FYI

    2. Assigning Work to Committees or Board Members

      As the precedent for establishing committees (aka ‘task forces’) had already been established there was no discussion of this point.

    3. RA Advisory Board

      There was extensive discussion of what an advisory board really was. It was agreed that it should contain high profile people who would not be expected to work actively for RA. It was agreed that a minimum number should be arranged (e.g. 3) before going public. Email discussion of potential candidates was recommended.

    4. Raising Money from Memberships, Donations and Sales

      It was agreed that RA should work to become financially self-sustaining. Bob Leppo moved, seconded by Roberto Giraldo, that we create a task force on fund raising. Bryan Owen and Siggi Duesberg should be on it.
      There was discussion of looking for a fundraising professional, and some discussion of advertising, but there was concern over accepting advertising by undesirable companies.

    5. Establishing Cooperative Relationships and Outreach

      There was no time for this discussion, although many other discussions over the weekend touched on this area.

    6. RA Role in Scientific Analysis

      There was no time for this discussion, although many other discussions over the weekend touched on this area.

    7. Website Approval Process

      The webmaster, Bryan Owen, indicated that he would be happy to work with the direction of the PR Task Force on content issue, and work with a small team (currently Frank Lusardi and David Crowe) on technical issues and updating of previously approved categories of content.

  10. Sunday Morning, June 12th – Open Session

    No contributions.

  11. Conference Call with International Lawyers

    Contribution: RA 06.06-14 [Clifford Miller] — “Confidential Report on Parenzee Case”
    *** THIS REPORT IS CONFIDENTIAL TO THE BOARD AND MUST NOT BE FORWARDED TO OTHER PARTIES WITHOUT PERMISSION OF THE AUTHOR. ***

    REDACTED DISCUSSION OF CONFERENCE CALL WITH TWO LAWYERS

    Status: FYI

  12. Open Portion of Meeting

    1. “Developing the network - Getting the message across”. Joan Shenton – Immunity Resource Foundation

      Contribution: RA 06.06-18 [Joan Shenton] — “Immunity Resource Foundation Brochure”
      Joan Shenton gave a talk on the Immunity Resource Foundation. It has large quantities of text and video information from Joan’s company Meditel. This will be loaded on to the foundation’s website and form an incredible resource for researchers into the HIV/AIDS fraud.

      Status: FYI

      Contribution: RA 06.06-19 [Michael Verney-Elliott, Alex Russell] — “The case of the haemophiliacs proves that HIV cannot be the cause of AIDS”
      Verny-Elliott and Russell believe that the situation of hemophiliacs is the best way to document the HIV/AIDS theory is wrong.

      Status: FYI

    2. “Is AIDS a viral or a chemical epidemic?” – Peter Duesberg

      Contribution: RA 06.06-06 [Peter Duesberg] — “Is AIDS a viral or a chemical epidemic?”
      Dr. Peter Duesberg gave a very well received presentation comparing the infectious and chemically-induced threories of AIDS during the open portion of the meeting. It will be placed on the RA website.

      Status: FYI

    3. Talk by Michael Ellner and Tom Di Ferdinando

      Contribution: RA 06.06-20 [Michael Ellner] — “Statement to the Board of Rethinking AIDS”
      Michael Ellner, with Tom Di Ferdinando, gave a presentation on HIV/AIDS to the open portion of the meeting. Michael emphasized the “psycho-emotional reality of HIV/AIDS” and that belief in HIV/AIDS is to a hypnotized state.

      Status: FYI

      Contribution: RA 06.06-21 [Michael Ellner] — “HEAL Project List”
      HEAL NYC is proposing 5 projects:

      • Improving connectivity among all “dissident” groups and individuals.

      • A travelling conference on Healing AIDS Naturally, eventually resulting in a documentary.

      • A web calendar of dissident events around the world.

      • A web archive of historical materials, used and unused.

      Status: FYI

      Contribution: RA 06.06-22 [Michael Ellner] — “Kim Bannon's Legal Strategy”

      Status: FYI

    4. Latin America – Roberto Giraldo

      Contribution: RA 06.06-04 [Roberto Giraldo] — “Report from Latin America”
      Roberto Giraldo reported on HIV/AIDS rethnker activities in Latin America. He described organizations that have been established in many countries, who is involved with them, their activities and successes. He noted that there are a number of HIV+ doctors and nurses, and they have been very helpful.

      Status: Verbal report

  13. Return to Closed Session

    No contributions.

  14. Revision, Amendments and Ratification (vote) of the Bylaws

    Contribution: RA 06.06-03r2 [Etienne de Harven] — “Revised RA Bylaws”
    After a discussion of the latest draft of the Bylaws, developed by Etienne de Harven, David Rasnick and Charles Geshekter, with recent comments from David Crowe, Bob Leppo moved that we approve the bylaws (‘r2’) as modified. Christine seconded. There were no objections. 9 out of 13 board members were present or had a proxy present.

    Action: A conflict of interest policy should be developed. Suggest that Siggi investigate.

    Action: Christine will look into the process for dba “Rethinking AIDS”. She will coordinate with Siggi.

    Action: David will coordinate with Siggi to determine whether establishing RA as a membership charity (501c3) is possible, and what is required. David will report to the next board meeting at the latest.

    Action: Investigate requirements for board meetings based on IRS requirements and the BBB ‘Gold Standard’ for charities.

    Status: Accepted as modified

  15. Nominations

    1. Board Members

      Nominations for board positions were deferred until a conference call in September. The revised bylaws require nomination by any two board members plus a vote for approval of a two thirds majority of the entire board.

    2. Correspondents

      There was no time to discuss specific nominations of correspondents. There was discussion of the usefulness of this concept, and how this could be linked in with the responsibility to update a Rethinkers calendar of events, speaking engagements, publications and so on.

  16. Looking to the Future

    1. RA at World AIDS Conferences in Toronto (2006) and Mexico (2008)

      No contributions.

    2. Conference on Rethinking AIDS “At present there is no recognised standard for establishing the presence or absence of antibodies to HIV in human blood”

      Neville Hodgkinson reported on a meeting with Christian Fiala at which the idea of a conference exploring and highlighting challenges to the HIV/AIDS theory was discussed. Roberto Giraldo said it would be good if this could take place next year, as it could help set the scene for a conference in Mexico in 2008.

    3. Future RA Meetings

      It was agreed to hold quarterly board conference calls. The first was tentatively scheduled for September 23rd at 8am Pacific Time. The second was scheduled for January 6th, 2007 at the same time.

  17. Review Actions

    1. Guidelines for writing letters will be developed and posted on the RA website by Christine Maggiore and Bryan Owen.
    2. David Crowe will get names and addresses of those present to Siggi Duesberg.
    3. Christine Maggiore will provide information on getting BBB ‘super’ charity status to the treasurer.
    4. David Crowe will work with Tom Di Ferdinando and Bryan Owen to develop an RA website calendar. A conference call will be held to thrash out requirements for this. Probably should wait for new CMS
    5. David Crowe will make sure that “The Corrections” (or “Correcting Gallo”) are completed and that their existence is publicized.
    6. Christine Maggiore will organize a PR task force.
    7. A conflict of interest policy should be developed. Suggest that Siggi investigate.
    8. Christine will look into the process for dba “Rethinking AIDS”. She will coordinate with Siggi.
    9. David will coordinate with Siggi to determine whether establishing RA as a membership charity (501c3) is possible, and what is required. David will report to the next board meeting at the latest.
    10. Investigate requirements for board meetings based on IRS requirements and the BBB ‘Gold Standard’ for charities.
  18. Closing Remarks (Peter Duesberg)

    Peter Duesberg had to leave before the end of the meeting (which was somewhat behind schedule by this point, in any case).

  19. Adjournment

    The meeting was recessed at 5:00 PM on 6/10/2006 , reconvened at 9:00 AM on 6/11/2006 and finally adjourned at 5:00 PM. .

Report generated on 10/22/2006 at 10:25:52.

© Copyright July 27, 2009 by Rethinking AIDS.